Nuit Blanche Winnipeg is a free nighttime exploration and celebration of contemporary art held in Winnipeg’s historic Exchange District and Downtown. Since 2010 our exhibitions and events have brought thousands of art enthusiasts, cultural animators and citizens of Winnipeg together on one Saturday night each fall.
Artists, performers, galleries, cultural organisations and independent curators create and host their own events around the city. These events are always FREE, inclusive to the public and encourage the celebration of the arts in our community. Anyone interested in coordinating an event that celebrates contemporary art is welcome to register, host and be part of our celebration. To find out more info on how you can attend, host or create your own Nuit Blanche event please click HERE.
- Debuting at the Winnipeg Art Gallery in September 2010 the concept of Nuit Blanche originated in France in 1984 and has since spread to many cities around the world.
- In Manitoba, Nuit Blanche Winnipeg takes place during Culture Days, a collaborative Canadian volunteer movement that aims to raise the access, awareness, engagement and participation of all Canadians in the arts and cultural life of their communities.
- Nuit Blanche Winnipeg is held annually on either the last Saturday of September or the first Saturday of October. This year Nuit Blanche Winnipeg will be held on September 24th/2022.
- Nuit Blanche Winnipeg is operated by the staff of Culture Days Manitoba and the Nuit Blanche Winnipeg Artistic Advisory Committee.
- Although the direct translation for Nuit Blanche is ‘white night’, the context of the French translation means ‘a sleepless night.’ Many of our independent organisers have art events well into the early hours of the morning each festival.
Nuit Blanche Winnipeg takes place on Treaty 1 Territory and on the ancestral lands of the Anishinaabe, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota and Dene Peoples and the homeland of the Métis Nation. We offer our respect and gratitude to the traditional caretakers of this land.
Code of Conduct for Nuit Blanche Winnipeg
At Nuit Blanche Winnipeg we appreciate the vibrant diversity of our community and invite everyone to enjoy the events and installations and offer a welcoming, inclusive, safe and respectful environment.
We ask that everyone—artists, event organizers, audiences, volunteers, press, industry, staff, board members, and beyond—maintain an environment that is welcoming to all by being:
- Inclusive and respectful of people of every race, ethnicity, gender identity/expression, ability, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, age, physical appearance and body size, language spoken, and immigration or economic status
- Intentional with your words and abstaining from any kind of abusive or offensive language
- Mindful of the personal space and boundaries of others
- Respectful by refraining from disruption of art installations or events
- Considerate of the health and safety of others.
This Code of Conduct covers all Nuit Blanche Winnipeg events and venues including digital spaces.
We ask that any person who witnesses or experiences a violation of this Code of Conduct should immediately contact a Nuit Blanche Winnipeg volunteer, staff member, or safety personnel.
Nuit Blanche Winnipeg requires that all artists/volunteers sign this agreement to indicate they agree to abide by these policies of the Code of Conduct prior to being eligible to participate in Nuit Blanche Winnipeg